The Buzz About Clarisonic

For the last month or so I’ve been testing out the Clarisonic Mia skin cleansing system and the buzz has been both literal and metaphorical. If I’m honest, I’ve always been a little skeptical of skincare and beauty gadgetry, preferring instead to spend my beauty currency on product. After product. After product.

It’s not something that I readily admit to but I dislike my skin intensely. Up until the age of 16 it was all peaches and cream but once the teenage breakouts started, it was downhill from there. Now in my 40′s the breakouts aren’t so intense but I scowl daily at open pores, scars from said breakouts and now the onset of ageing.

For these reasons you’ll never see me outside the house without make up and I hate close up photos of my face – only the ones taken in the best light make it as far as the blog. Yet more reasons to love Instagram. So it was with interest that I began using the Clarisonic Mia and at the same time, started to see others singing the praises of the results on Twitter.

The official buzz can be found here and I have to say, it really does live up to it’s reputation. I’ve been experimenting with integrating it into my routine and have found that it works best for me used every other day. I also swap between morning usage in the shower and as part of my nightly cleanse.

The clean feeling you get from it is like no other – its clean without feeling scrubbed if that makes sense. It’s brilliant at night prior to serums/moisturisers as they sink in beautifully after use and it helps with the wake up process in the shower. Something I’m always grateful for!

As a thank you for taking the time to test it I was given some John Lewis vouchers to purchase some new makeup in readiness for party season. So I hotfooted it to the Bobbi Brown counter and came back with some Sheer Finish loose powder and Pot Rouge to help boost my newly acquired glow.

Here’s a pic from my Kors shoot, untouched by Instagram filters or other means, but yes I’m wearing makeup that I did myself and yes, the lighting and focus is REALLY flattering. I’d been using the Clarisonic for just over two weeks here – I’m sure the glow is partially due to that and partially down to the fact I’m wearing Michael Kors!

Having tested it I do think it’s a worthwhile investment – would I buy one myself? Yes…and there’s the rub. Without the scrub if you will.

Comments

1. Heather says

I’ve had my Clarisonic for nearly two years now and wouldn’t be without it. Initially I was dubious but considering the money I have spent on searching for THE perfect skincare routine and holy grail of products over the years then this investment was money well spent.I’m a product junkie, turned 40 this year but still with combination skin that sometimes breaks out- definitely to a lesser extent now I thoroughly cleanse with the Clarisonic. I too have found that using it every two nights works for me. I used to have facials every 6 weeks in the quest for perfect skin but now only every 6 months as a great. I did indulge last week on my trip to London in Liberty’s beauty rooms and even better the cost of the facial was redeemable against products!

• says

Good point Heather – if you spend a lot on products, I think to invest the money in something like this makes sense. It just works better for me than exfoliating scrubs. I love to indulge in a facial now and again too but it is a rare treat and I have to be careful with the brand of product used. The relaxation part is the best!

2. says

Hi Amanda

Like you, I’m a recent user of the Clarisonic – I have the Mia one and really love it. I concur that after using it, my skin feels squeaky clean! And your skin always looks radiant!
    xoxo

3. simone says

You are BEAUTIFUL!!!

I know what you mean about skincare, I prefer buying actual products too. I have heard good things about the Clarisonic though, interesting to read your comments :)

Happy Friday lovely XX

4. says

I am Clarisonic convert as well and my skin has completely transformed over the last six months. I only use it every second day though (with a creamy cleanser), and I now never need to exfoliate, which I think is gentler on your skin.

I intersperse it with Eve Lom cleanser every second day…and now I barely ever wear makeup!

Definitely get one

5. Tracy says

You’re skin always looks great in your pics but ‘I dislike my skin intensely’ is a pretty strong statement. I’ve never tried any of these gadgets, presumably they thoroughly cleanse and exfoliate, and in my experience even the best the most expensive lotions and potions manage is good hydration so I wondered whether you’ve ever considered going a step further with botox and fillers? I know they’re not to everyones taste but in the right hands the results are natural and pretty amazing. I’m 46 and very thin which as they say is ‘great for your butt, not so good for your face’ so I use botox for lines and fillers in my cheeks. I’m very happy to go out makeup free and now I simply use Clarins products.

• says

I just really don’t like seeing it close up! It looks fine under make up for the first half hour but after that I try not to look! You’re right – anything that cleanses and exfoliates can only go so far but botox and fillers wouldn’t be for me. I see why people have them and totally get it but feel it would just be delaying the inevitable. I remember seeing the butt/face line from Courtney Cox I think!

6. Estelle Howell says

I’ve been thinking about buying one for a while and had been researching it again yesterday morning and had almost made up my mind to get one, so this was perfectly timed, have decided to bit the bullet and place my order this morning.

Am hoping using will help relieve the congestion I get round my nose and chin – it’s the main reason I go for regular facials. Have ordered the delicate skin brush though, have been warned they can be a bit harsh on sensitive skin like mine and the last thing I need is any more broken veins. But would be so nice to get rid of those visible pores.

7. Claire Bainton says

I’ve been using my Clarisonic for almost a year as it was a lovely Christmas present. As an ex beauty therapist and make up artist I am super critical and have used pretty much everything on the market from high street to top end (product junkie would be an understatement!). The Clarisonic is amazing. For the other ladies who have posted comments, it’s fine for literally every skin type including super sensitive. Other than using it for my morning cleanse in the shower every other day,I find it works especially well when I give myself a mini facial once a week. After removing your makeup with one regular cleanse, using the Clarisonic – slather on your cleanser of choice again in a nice thick layer, sit in the bath to let the steam do it’s work and then Clarisonic it off after about 10 minutes. Once out of the bath, splash with cold water and either apply a mask for an added treat or skip straight to a quick swipe of toner and then cream or serum. It’s also fab to use before applying a smattering of faux glow!

8. says

I love my Clarisonic as well. I find it suits me best not using it every night too. Your skin looks fabulous in the Michael Kors photos. I love Bobbi Brown’s Pot Rouge. Perfect multi-tasking product. x

9. littlebrownbird says

I love your photo! Pure joy! I love my Clarisonic. I’ve had my Clarisonic Pro for nearly 2 years now and it’s amazing. My skin, while not perfect, is much clearer and I use mine every day in the shower. It also has a body brush which saves faffing around with loofahs, exfoliating scrub and the like. If anything, I’ve reduced the number of beauty products I use. Definitely the best investment I’ve made in years!

10. says

The Clarisonic is amazing. For the other ladies who have posted comments, it’s fine for literally every skin type including super sensitive. Other than using it for my morning cleanse in the shower every other day,I find it works especially well when I give myself a mini facial once a week. After removing your makeup with one regular cleanse, using the Clarisonic – slather on your cleanser of choice again in a nice thick layer, sit in the bath to let the steam do it’s work and then Clarisonic it off after about 10 minutes. Once out of the bath, splash with cold water and either apply a mask for an added treat or skip straight to a quick swipe of toner and then cream or serum. It’s also fab to use before applying a smattering of faux glow!.love my Clarisonic. I’ve had my Clarisonic Pro for nearly 2 years now and it’s amazing. My skin, while not perfect, is much clearer and I use mine every day in the shower. It also has a body brush which saves faffing around with loofahs, exfoliating scrub and the like. If anything, I’ve reduced the number of beauty products I use. Definitely the best investment I’ve made in years!